Maintaining Your Oral Health

Feature_Photo_WomanSmile696Even with all the education available today, many people still don’t realize how important your mouth is to your overall body health and wellness. Keeping your teeth and gums strong not only helps your confidence and self-image, but it can help you defend against diseases like diabetes, heart disease and even cancer.

Your mouth, in many ways, is the center of your overall health. Read some tips and advice about how to maintain a strong oral health routine, avoid tooth decay/loss and defend against disease.

Maintain Your Oral Health

While statistics show that about 70% of people in the United States brush at least twice a day, those numbers still aren’t enough. It leaves around 30% of the population that don’t have good oral health.

A strong routine of brushing and flossing is essential to good oral health. Brush your teeth for a minimum of two minutes at a time at least twice a day. Don’t forget to brush your tongue as well—you needn’t really go at it there, just a few strokes from back to front. This will help to reduce germs that cause bad breath and can contribute to gum disease. When flossing, once a day before bed is good, but be thorough and get between each tooth.

Your Teeth, Gums and Body

The health of your gums and mouth is directly related to the health of your body, and it goes both ways. People who have periodontal disease and infections in their gums can, if these are not treated, get more serious conditions like heart disease and even cancer. People with autoimmune diseases or illnesses like diabetes are more prone to gum infections and have to be extra careful about their oral health routines.

Bad breath could just be from something you ate recently, or it can be an indicator of a much more serious problem, especially if it’s persistent. The same goes with bleeding gums. If your gums bleed when you brush it can be a sign of early periodontitis.

Regular Dental Visits

The best way to keep your teeth and gums healthy is to make sure that you visit your dentist at least twice a year. If you have tooth and gum issues, you may need to visit more often. Your dentist can advise you as to how often you should visit.

At each dental office visit, your dentist will perform a complete and thorough examination of your mouth as well as a thorough professional cleaning. Dentists have tools and options available that can get to the areas even your toothbrush and floss can’t, and that’s why it’s so important to have professional cleanings done. Regular visits also allow the dentist to catch signs of illness and infection while it’s still early enough to treat them.

If you’re ready to get started on a strong dental health routine, we are here to help. Check out our Marietta family dentistry services and give us a call for more information today!